I mean... did he leave LSU in the middle of the night on a plane bound for Tuscaloosa, after giving several inspirational speeches to his team about "holding the rope" being there for each other? Answer: No... That might apply to ex-Crimson Tide Coach Dennis Franchione (Emphasis on the "ex" part), who left in the middle of the night, bound for College Station and Texax A&M.
Did he commit to becoming the next LSU coach.. but, before beginning his first season, get caught at a strip club, shouting "GEAUX TIGAHS BABY!"..... Answer: No.... Perhaps they are confusing Saban with Alabama's shortest career Coach Mike Price. Remember this?.. "It's ROLLING BABY!"
Don't even get me started on the well-meaning (but ultimately terrible coach) Mike Shula.
My point is... Alabama fans from my generation have come to learn quite a bit about let-downs, disapointment, and even traitors.... (and I think we've finally learned not to hire anybody named "Mike" as our head coach).
Now... Nick Saban came to LSU and, before he was done, left that program with one more National Championship title than they had before he arrived. He then followed what, at the time, was his dream of coaching in the NFL. Despite his love for the team and fans at LSU (not to mention the location... His family LOVED it there), with a heavy heart, he accepted the position as head coach of the Miami Dolphins. However, it wasn't long before he realized how much he really missed coaching college ball. See the following blog/article recently sent to me by a good friend for more insight on this: http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/
So... How is he a traitor again? This, I'll never understand. After losing such a catch, I can definitlely understand some of the sore feelings coming from the LSU crowd... If Saban were to leave Alabama tomorrow, I would feel an immense sense of loss for our program there. But, traitor?... I don't think so.
Now... Let's get serious. Personally, I think the real reason that Saban left LSU was because of the constant pervasive smell of corndogs emanating from many of the fans who lived in and around Baton Rouge. Yes, you heard me.... "CORNDOGS!". The first time I read about this... I laughed heartily.... but it's true.... THEY SMELL LIKE CORNDOGS! I first read heard about this from an MSU (of the Mississippi variety) message board a few years ago.
The poster advised his audience NOT to let on if you were aware of the corndog smell, as LSU fans know about their condition and are very sensitive about this. Well... I didn't believe it myself... until this one day.... Well.. I'd really rather not go into detail. Just know that I wish I had heeded the advice of that wise message board poster. You see.... It is true that the LSU fan-base is very conscientious about their... shall we call it..... colorful fragrance.... Ah heck.. Why sugar coat it?! .... CORNDOG SMELL! But... many of these Cajun Corndog people aren't of the little fairy cupcake variety... so, if you happen to go to the game tomorrow.. and you sit near one of them...whatever you do... DON'T MAKE A FACE about the smell... Don't even say the words.. "Does anyone else smell corndogs?".... Don't even come up with a code word for "corndog"... Trust me ... they are on to all that. I know, because I tried to beat the system and use code words such as, "maize-weenies", "cocktail-doggies", and even "triscuit bunnies"... They were on to ALL of that. The best thing you can do is just... Take It!. ...Just sit there and take it. Don't even get up and act like you have a bladder infection and make several trips to the bathroom just to catch a breath of "relatively" fresh-air. THEY KNOW... and they'll be waiting for you outside the stadium if you try any of that. Now.. don't get me wrong... Corndogs are fine part of the American experience.. and I don't mean to bust on them at all. But I mean... when your very own body odor reeks of it... That is a bit much. But please keep in mind.. they can't help it.
That's all I feel comfortable saying about that.
Peace out Football Party People,
Johnny Red
No comments:
Post a Comment